- Lt Gen CP Mohanty, Param Vishisht Seva Medal, Ati Vishisht Seva Medal, Sena Medal, Vishisht Seva Medal (Retired), is a highly decorated, experienced and accomplished General Officer.
- The General hails from Jagatsinghpur in Odisha. He is an alumnus of Rashtriya Indian Military College, Dehradun, National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun. The General Officer is an Infantry Officer of 1982 Batch and was commissioned into 6th Battalion, The Rajput Regiment.
- He, in his illustrious career spanning over 38 years has extensively served and commanded troops in Counter Terrorism in J&K and Assam and along the Line of Control opposite Pakistan and China. He has commanded a multinational UN Brigade in Democratic Republic of Congo where he led a number of heliborne operations against armed insurgent groups. He commanded a Division comprising 25,000 soldiers in “OP Rhino” in Counter Insurgency environment after the ethnic carnage in the year 2014. The General Officer was awarded Ati Vishisht Seva Medal for breaking the backbone of terrorist groups ULFA & NDFB.
- As a Lieutenant General, the General Officer commanded the elite 33 Corps in Sikkim immediately after Doklam incident and enhanced operational preparedness of the Corps comprising 60,000 troops to achieve morale ascendancy over Chinese in Sikkim Sector. The General commanded Uttar Bharat Area opposite China in Central Sector thereafter. He was General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Southern Command before he took over as Vice Chief of the Army Staff on 01 Feb 21 and tenanted the appointment till his superannuation on 31 January 2022. The General Officer has in depth knowledge of conduct of war both along the Eastern Borders opposite China and Western Borders opposite Pakistan. The General Officer was
awarded Param Vishisht Seva Medal last year for distinguished services as General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Southern Command during COVID period.
- Academically inclined, the General has researched extensively on China, South Asia and North East and is deemed to be an expert in these fields. He was awarded Masters of Philosophy in Defence Studies from Madras University and also holds two Masters Degrees in Defence Studies and Management Studies. The General officer is an all-rounder sportsman and has special interest in keeping himself physically fit through Yoga.- He has joined as Hon’ble Member (Administrative) in the Armed Forces Tribunal, Delhi on December 13, 2022.